If you believe in the teachings of Islam, it is recommended to make a formal declaration of faith. After careful study and prayer, if you find that you want to embrace the faith, here’s how.
Note: Many Muslims prefer to say that they have “reverted” rather than “converted” to Islam. Either term is generally accepted among the Muslim community.
Time Required: Variable
- For a Muslim, every action begins with your intention. Quietly, to yourself, make the intention to embrace Islam as your faith.
- Say the following words with clarity of intention, firm faith and belief:
- Say: “Ash-hadu an la ilaha ill Allah.” (I bear witness that there is no diety but Allah.)
- Say: “Wa ash-hadu ana Muhammad ar-rasullallah.” (And I bear witness that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah.)
- Take a shower, symbolically cleansing yourself of your past life. (Some people prefer to shower beforemaking the declaration of faith above; either way is acceptable.)
- Learn how to pray and practice Islam in your daily life.
- Continue to learn, study, and grow in your new faith. Seek support from Muslims if available.
- Maintain your existing family relationships to the best of your ability. Some may have difficulty accepting your decision, but at all times try to keep the doors open and be a good example of humility, kindness, and patience.
- Share your story, to find camaraderie and to inspire others!
- Before embracing Islam, be sure to spend time studying the faith, reading books, and learning from other Muslims. Browse through the Muslim convert support information on this website.
- Your conversion should be based on knowledge, certainty, acceptance, submission, truthfulness, and sincerity.
- It is not required to have Muslim witnesses to your conversion, but many prefer to have such support. God is your ultimate Witness.
- If you wish to go for Hajj (pilgrimage), a “certificate of Islam” may be required to prove that you are a Muslim. (Only Muslims are allowed to visit the city of Mecca.) Contact your local Islamic center to obtain one; they may ask you to repeat your declaration of faith.
[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][vc_column width=”1/4″ offset=”vc_hidden-sm vc_hidden-xs”][stm_sidebar sidebar=”573″][/vc_column][/vc_row]